Sunday, February 9, 2014
Chicken Soup Done Right
1 whole chicken, preferably organic. Include giblets
Herbs you like--tarragon, herbs de provence
1 onion and
1. Wash chicken and giblets; cover generously with water in crock pot. Add herbs to taste; cook overnight on HIGH.
2. Next morning: Remove bird and giblets. Place on platter to cool. Feed guts to dogs.
3. Turn off pot and allow broth to cool.
4. 1 hour later: Debone bird, discard bones where pets cannot get at them. Feed skin to dogs or cats.
5. Put meat and cooled broth into fridge.
6. Several hours later: When broth develops layer of grease on top, remove from fridge. Use slotted spoon to break off grease layer and remove from broth. Discard grease layer.
7. Strain broth through cheese cloth or fine strainer to remove bone bits, herbs, etc.
8. Chop veggies and return to crock pot with broth and chicken meat. Cook low for several hours or overnight.
9. Add greens, such as spinach or kale or beet greens or collard greens. About 30 minutes before eating add pasta or rice of choice. I prefer orzo.
10. Serve with grated parmesan cheese.
Posted by Gemma at 10:49 AM